10 STEPS – HOW TO PLAN A CORPORATE EVENT
How to plan a Corporate Event
If you are given the task to organise an event for your company or working with an event management company – this 10 step guide should help ensure you do not trip up during the planning stages.
A basic procedural outline to consider when planning an event or activity for your company that we use here at Travel Out There.
Identify what type of event/activity you would like to do.
Determine the goals of the event and what you would like to accomplish.
Define your objectives and outcomes of the event or activity.
Identify the target audience and event emphasis: Education, Health etc.
Decide on a date and time for the event or activity.
Consider locations and types of facilities to host event.
Determine the use of space and or seating arrangement and capacity required for the event or activity.
Decide who will be responsible to secure the facility and be the event coordinator.
Consider establishing partnerships with other organizations or people to assist with the execution of the event.
Identify their role when determining key decisions.
Create an event/program budget.
Identify the sources and amounts of potential revenue and expenses.
Revise for realistic and necessary true cost and revenue updates.
Create an event timeline.
Outline all essential decisions/activities in a time sequential order from the point of initial consideration to decision being finalized and decisions being executed.
Document who is responsible for each function.
Communicate the timeline to everyone involved in the planning or fulfillment of the event.
Determine Key Decisions:
- Determine the order of activities that need to occur at the event or activity.
- Determine who will perform or execute the agenda items.
- Determine if a published program is necessary. If so decide who will create and print the program.
- Identify the topics of information to be shared.
- Determine if presenters/speakers are needed. If so identify potential presenters or speakers to invite to participate.
- Decide on the time frame for each presentation or speech.
- Decide the type of communication that should transpire with the presenters/speaker, when it should occur and who will be responsible to execute and follow-up.
- Identify what equipment is necessary for the event or activity.
- Identify potential sources to secure needed equipment.
- Evaluate the cost of the equipment.
- Decide who will be responsible for the pick up and return of the equipment.
- Determine what materials are needed, and identify potential sources to purchase them.
- Decide who will be responsible for purchasing, preparing and storing the materials.
- Determine who will receive awards – presenters/speakers.
- Decide on awards items and identify sources to purchase them.
- Decide who will be responsible for purchasing awards and presenting them.
- Identify the method(s) which will be used to publicize the event or activity.
- Decide who will be responsible for the development of invitations, flyers, press releases, emails, etc.
- Decide who will be the contact for public inquires on the event or activity.
- Decide who will be responsible to disseminate the types of information on the event or activity.
- Decide who will be documenting, photographing / filming the event to help with increased client engegement post event.
- Determine the method of communication to the people within the organization to inform them, include them and encourage them to participate. For instance communicating by email, newsletter, Whatsapp etc.
Take into consideration these special additions/items if needed:
- Activities (at Travel Out There we like to incorporate activities and ice breakers in to the event to help drive more connectivity)
- Clean up
You have planned well and are ready to go. Have a Successful Event!
Hope this helps to ensure you have a remarkable event or activity. Should you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us!